Deadline 01.03.2023: Beyond Borders PhD Scholarships 2023
02. February 2023
Are you pursuing a PhD in social sciences or humanities? Beyond Borders, a programme by the ZEIT Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius, offers scholarships for projects that reflect the cultural and historical contexts of borders found in our everyday life. The thematic focus of 2023 - "Borders, Contestations and Conflict" - puts a special emphasis on territorial borders, their role in the global order and their relation to definitions of sovereignty and belonging.
The programme is open to applicants of any nationality. Next to a full PhD scholarship, application is also possible for a Start Up Scholarship at the beginning of the doctoral project or a Dissertation Completion Scholarship. More information on the thematic focus, the terms of reference and the application form can be found here.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- university degree that qualifies for PhD studies (applicants for the Start Up Scholarship should expect to complete their degree in the same year)
- above-average academic aptitude and a research project that promises to yield independent and new findings
- PhD position (except applicants for the Start Up Scholarships)
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- 1,400 euros per month for PhD scholarships and Dissertation Completion Scholarships, 1,200 euros for Start Up Scholarships
- monthly child allowance (400 euros/month for the first child, 100 euros/month for each additional child) for children up to 18 years of age
- opportunities for interdisciplinary exchange with other fellows and the advisory board, including an annual conference organized by the ZEIT-Stiftung
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications can be submitted until 1 March 2023.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of the appplication can be found here: